Kežmarok castle

Region:Region Prešov (Prešovský kraj)
District:Kežmarok
City / Municipality:Kežmarok
Tourist location:Spiš
Lies by the river:Poprad
Latitude:49° 8' 23.8344" / 49.139954 /
Longitude:20° 26' 0.98123999991003" / 20.433605899999975 /
Included in categories: Castles
The castle belongs to the castles called "town castles". It was built directly on the territory of the city of Kezmarok, in order to guard the city against enemies. The building of castle is connected with family of Zapolsky. The first written reference about the castle is from 1463. In 1528 it became the property of the family Lasky. The last owner of the castle  was Ferdinand Rueber, who the city of Kežmarok bought the castle from in year 1702.    The original gothic fortress was re-build  by the family Thököly to  plush residence. The Thököly family  built in 1657-1658  a baroque chapel in the castle. They built the building of stable in the same century. After passing into the ownership of the city, the castle was used for various purposes: the grainery, barracks.. and several times it burned down. In the  2nd half of 19th century appeared the efforts to use the castle for museum ... ... Read more
Preserved
Gothic, Baroque


Objects, services, attractions around (up to 50 km - direct distance)

* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details

More from related categories


Smolenice Castle was built in the 15th century, but it was destroyed during Rákóczi's War of Independence and Napoleanic wars. In 1777, Count ... Read more

Orava Castle is situated on a high rock above Orava river in the village of Oravský Podzámok, Slovakia. It is considered to be one of the most ... Read more

Bojnice Castle is a medieval castle in Bojnice, Slovakia. It is a Romantic castle with some original Gothic and Renaissance elements built in the ... Read more

The Trenčín Castle is a castle above the town of  Trenčín in western Slovakia. Trencin Castle is quite extensive refurbished castle, towering on a ... Read more

The first mention of Red Stone Castle was in the first half of the 13th century. The castle was built at a request of Queen Konstancia Uhorska, ... Read more

The Budatín Castle is a castle in north-western Slovakia, near the city of Žilina, where the Kysuca river flows into the Váh river. It was built ... Read more