St. Catherine`s church in Banska Štiavnica

Region:Region Banská Bystrica (Banskobystrický kraj)
District:Banská Štiavnica
City / Municipality:Banská Štiavnica
Tourist location:Hont
Mountains:Štiavnica Mountains (Štiavnické vrchy)
Lies by the river:Štiavnica
Monument reserve:Banská Štiavnica
World Heritage:UNESCO Cultural Heritage
Latitude:48° 27' 31.7664" / 48.458824
Longitude:18° 53' 34.774799999759" / 18.892992999999933
Unesco world heritage
The late Gothic St. Catherine’s Church is one of the most beautiful churches in Banská Štiavnica. It is also called “Slovak”, because the sermons here had been taking place in Slovak language since 1658. St. Catherine’s Church was built in 1488-1491. Its interior decorations were worked on until 1500. The church consists of one nave topped with a late Gothic stellar vault continuing to presbytery. The nave is lined from both sides with chapels of half its height. In 1776, the chapel of St. John of Nepomuk was added to the church. Underneath the church lies a crypt in which mayors and significant townsmen were buried. A cross, a late Gothic statue of Virgin Mary and a stone baptistery have been preserved of the 15th century furnishings of the church. The organ was handcrafted by a local master in the late 18th century. The original main altar was made by a mystical Master M.S. Two ... ... Read more
Banská Štiavnica (City)

Objects, services, attractions around (up to 50 km - direct distance)

* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details

More from related categories


Žehra - church
Church of the Holy Spirit is the late-roman sacral building from the second half of the 13th century located in the village of Žehra in the ...Read more

New Evangelic Church Kežmarok
The New Evangelical Church in Kežmarok was built in the eclectic style between 1872 and 1894. It was built by the domestic builder Viktor Lazar ...Read more

Basilica minor Kežmarok
Basilica minor of the Holy Cross is Late Gothic Roman Catholic parish church. It was built between 1444-1498 on the site of an older parish ...Read more

Blue Church
The Blue Church - Roman Catholic church in Bratislava was built between 1909 and 1913. It is located in the capital of Slovakia - Bratislava on ...Read more

Basilica of St. Egidius - Bardejov
Basilica of St. Egidius together with the historic town hall are dominants of city of Bardejov in the Region Prešov (Prešovský kraj). The history ...Read more

Banská Štiavnica - Slovakia
Banská Štiavnica is one of the most beautiful and historically most interesting towns in Slovakia. Štiavnica, once called “Silver town”, is like a ...Read more