Calvary in Banska Štiavnica

Region: Region Banská Bystrica (Banskobystrický kraj)
District: Banská Štiavnica
City / Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Tourist location:Hont
Mountains: Štiavnica Mountains (Štiavnické vrchy)
Lies by the river: Štiavnica
Monument reserve: Banská Štiavnica
World Heritage:UNESCO Cultural Heritage
Latitude:48° 27' 41.928480000072" / 48.46164680000002
Longitude:18° 54' 50.336500957027" / 18.913982361376952
Unesco world heritage
Štiavnica’s Calvary is one of the most beautiful baroque Calvaries in Europe. It is located on Scharfenberg (Sharp mount) hill, thus being visible from all sides and providing a complete view of Štiavnica’s caldera (a large crater which came about by collapsing of the walls of a volacnic crater). The Calvary is remarkable due to its number of stations and the story it tells. After the renovation, it became one of the most frequently visited sites in the region.The person to initiate its construction was pater František Perger (1700 – 1771) from the local Jesuit community. He built it by virtue of gifts of wealthy miners, officers, but also humble families of miners. The donors are commemorated by coats of arms placed on the frontage of each station. The construction began in 1744, and it was finished in 1751. Most Calvaries have fourteen stations: they begin with the condemnation of Christ before Pilate and end with the Holy Sepulchre. The Štiavnica Calvary has seventeen stations, ... ... Read more
Banská Štiavnica (City)

Objects, services, attractions around (up to 50 km - direct distance)

Hereditary Mining Tunnel Glanzenberg
1,18 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Banská Štiavnica (City)
1,40 km
New Castle (Nový Zámok)
1,47 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Berggericht – mineralogic exposition
1,58 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
St. Catherine`s church in Banska Štiavnica
1,58 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Holy Trinity Square - Banská Štiavnica
1,63 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Bethlehem in Banska Štiavnica
1,67 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Old castle (Starý zámok)
1,69 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Tajchs (artificial water reservoirs) of Banská Štiavnica
1,95 km
Tajch Large Vodárenská (Veľká Vodárenská)
1,95 km
Mining Museum – open-air museum
2,28 km
City/Municipality: Banská Štiavnica
Tajch Ottergrund
2,49 km
Tajch Klinger
2,56 km
St. Anthony mansion - Museum in St. Anthony
4,93 km
City/Municipality: Svätý Anton
Mine in Hodrusa
6,28 km
City/Municipality: Hodruša - Hámre
Počúvadlo lake
7,45 km
Zveropark - Animal park
15,66 km
City/Municipality: Žarnovica
Slovak National Gallery - Zvolen Castle
20,02 km
City/Municipality: Zvolen
Hronsek - wooden baroque bell-house
27,35 km
City/Municipality: Hronsek
Hronsek - Wooden Articular Church in Hronsek
27,35 km
City/Municipality: Hronsek
Museum of the Slovak National Uprising - Museum SNP
35,02 km
City/Municipality: Banská Bystrica
Organ Špania Dolina
41,76 km
City/Municipality: Špania Dolina
Bojnice (City)
42,86 km
Bojnice castle
43,20 km
City/Municipality: Bojnice
ZOO Bojnice
43,29 km
City/Municipality: Bojnice
National Cultural Monument Kalište - Museum of SNP
47,27 km
City/Municipality: Baláže
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode
* There is noticed the direct distance (as the crow flies) in km
* Click on the map marker for more details
View in fullscreen mode

More from related categories

It located near Wooden Articular Church in Hronsek, in the district of Banská Bystrica, Banská Bystrica region. In 2008 was the  wooden Baroque bell-house together with Hronsek church enrolled to the World Cultural Heritage List of UNESCO.
Read more
The first town hall was on one of the oldest Kežmarok streets – Old Market. After inbreak of Hussites in 1433 the city partly burned down and its centre was moved to another location, where the new square was built up. In the middle of new square Juraj from city Spišska Sobota raised new town ...
Read more
The first reports of the existence of Kežmarok town schools are from years 1383-1392. There is the assumption that the first type of this school -  parish - there was already a century earlier. Evangelical lyceum is historic Late Baroque building. It was built in the years 1774-1776, today's ...
Read more
Mysterious  underground of Čachtice spreads  as the spider´s net under all village of Čachtice. From the original wine cellars inhabitants of Čachtice built  an extensive system of corridors with several floors for protection before Turkish attacks. Several weeks after a lost battle of the ...
Read more
Square shaped in the beginning of 16th century, and forms the core of the city. A significant role in its formation played the building of the Town Hall and the Church of St Catherine. Houses on the sides of the square are  epideictic burgher's palaces, which belonged to rich burghers and mining ...
Read more
The organ from village Špania Dolina belongs among the historical jewels, it is almost 300 years old. Organ was built in the Church of the Lord's Transfiguration in 1751, in the village of Špania Dolina - an ancient mining village with a rich history in the Banská Bystrica region in Central ...
Read more