UNESCO Cultural heritage in Slovakia

Banská Štiavnica - historic town of Banská Štiavnica and the technical monuments in its vicinity
Bardejov - historic centre of the city


Spiš castle and Levoča and the Associated Cultural Monuments
Spiš castle (Spišký hrad)
Levoča
Spišská Kapitula
Spišské Podhradie
Church of Holy Spirit at Žehra


Vlkolínec - monument reservation of folk architecture

Wooden churches of the Slovak Carpathians

Bodružal  -  Greek Catholic church of St. Nicholas in Bodružal
Hervartov - Roman Catholic wooden church of St. Francis of Assisi in Hervartov
Hronsek - Wooden Articular Church in Hronsek
Hronsek - wooden Baroque bell-house
Tvrdošín - Roman Catholic Gothic church of All Saints
Kežmarok - wooden articular church in Kežmarok
Ladomirová - Church of Archangel Michael in Ladomirová
Leštiny -  wooden evangelical articular church in Leštiny
Ruská Bystrá - Church of the relics of St. Nicholas



Banská Štiavnica - historic town of Banská Štiavnica and the technical monuments in its vicinity



Banská Štiavnica is a historic town in Central Slovakia. Banská Štiavnica is one of the most beautiful and historically most interesting towns in Slovakia. Štiavnica, once called “Silver town”, is like a textbook of history, architecture and landscaping. Everyone knows that it attracts artists, romantics and generally all people able to perceive its magical atmosphere. But no one can say certainly what the core of its magic is. The city is the center of the protected landscape area Štiavnické vrchy. Banská Štiavnica town with its surroundings has been included in the list of the world cultural and natural heritage on 11th December 1993 ... Read more

District: Banská Štiavnica
Region: Region Banska Bystrica (Banskobystrický Region)
Tourist location: Hont

> Top to the list

Bardejov - historic centre of the city



Bardejov is a town in the Prešov region. It is located in North-Eastern Slovakia, in the tourist region of Šariš. This historic spa town for its well-preserved medieval centre was entered into UNESCO World Heritage list in year 2000 ... Read more

District: Bardejov
Region: Region Presov (Prešovský Region)
Tourist location: Šariš

> Top to the list

Spiš castle and Levoča and the Associated Cultural Monuments

Spiš castle (Spišký hrad)



The ruins of Spiš Castle in eastern Slovakia is one of the largest castle sites in Central Europe. The castle is situated above the town of Spišské Podhradie and the village of Žehra, in the region known as Spiš. Spišský Hrad has one of the largest ensembles of 13th and 14th century military, political and religious buildings in eastern Europe ... Čítaj viac

Municipality:  Žehra
District: Spišská Nová Ves
Region: Region Košice (Košický Region)
Tourist location: Spiš

> Top to the list

Levoča



Levoča is a town in North-Eastern Slovakia, Prešov region. Levočas with its city walls and urban retained the character of a medieval town. Thanks to the many monuments and art treasures belong to the most beautiful historical cities in Slovakia. The town has a historic center with a well preserved town wall, a Renaissance church with the highest wooden altar in the world, carved by Master Paul of Levoča, and many other renaissance buildings. It is registered on the list of UNESCO world cultural heritage since 2009 ... Read more

District: Levoča
Region: Region Presov (Prešovský Region)
Tourist location: Spiš

> Top to the list

Spišská Kapitula



Spišská Kapitula was independent municipality in Eastern Slovakia, since 1948 is a part of Spišske Podhradie. It was one of the centres of the ecclesiastic education in Slovakia ... Read more

District: Spišská Nová Ves
Region: Region Košice (Košický Region)
Tourist location: Spiš

> Top to the list

Spišské Podhradie



The city and its surrounding area belongs to the most attractive tourist destinations. There is 145 cultural monuments including Spiš Castle, Spišska Kapitula and some protected areas ... Read more

District: Spišská Nová Ves
Region: Region Košice (Košický Region)
Tourist location: Spiš

> Top to the list

Church of Holy Spirit at Žehra



Church of the Holy Spirit is the late-roman sacral building from the second half of the 13th century located in the village of Žehra in the district Spišská Nová Ves in the Košice region. Most valuable monuments in the church wall paintings, forming a complex of iconographic cycle. They cover whole presbytery, Arch of triumph and the whole northern wall. The oldest paintings are from the end of the 13th century or in the 14th century. Artistically most valuable is painting of the presbytery ... Read more

Municipality: Žehra
District: Spišská Nová Ves
Region: Region Košice (Košický Region)
Tourist location: Spiš

> Top to the list

Vlkolínec - monument reservation of folk architecture



Vlkolínec, Slovakia, is a picturesque village under the administration of the town of Ružomberok. Historically, however, it was a separate village. The first written mention of the village came from 1376 and after 1882 it became part of Ružomberok. Vlkolínec is one of the Slovak villages that have been given the status of a folk architecture reservations. This status was granted because the village is an untouched and complex example of folk countryside architecture of the region of the Northern Carpathians ... Read more

Municipality: Ružomberok
District: Ružomberok
Region: Region Žilina (Žilinský Region)
Tourist location: Tatry, Liptov

> Top to the list

Wooden churches of the Slovak Carpathians

Bodružal  -  Greek Catholic church of St. Nicholas in Bodružal



The church is part of a unique urban unit on an elevated position in the centre of the village. It was built in 1658 consists of three interconnected square-shaped parts along the east–west axis with 3 towers (the biggest one with the bells) topped with little onion domes and iron crosses. Artistically it belongs to folk Baroque style. Church is surrounded with the cemetery, wall, and the belfry from the 19th century. Some of the 18th century wall paintings are still preserved as well as iconostasis, and other icons from the same century. Altar was reconstructed in 1990s and the whole building subsequently in the 2004. The church is in world cultural heritage list of UNESCO from 8th July 2008 ... Read more

Municipality:  Bodružal
District: Svidník
Region: Region Presov (Prešovský Region)
Tourist location: Šariš

Hervartov - Roman Catholic wooden church of St. Francis of Assisi in Hervartov



The Church o is a wooden Roman Catholic (formerly Lutheran) Church from the end of the 15. century, located in the village of Hervartov, district Bardejov, Prešov region. The floor is made of stones again unlike in most of wooden churches where it is usually made of wood. Rare wall paintings were added in 1665 during the reformation period and they depict, among others, Adam and Eve in the Eden or the struggle of St. George with the dragon. The main altar of Virgin Mary, St. Catherine of Alexandria, and St. Barbara was made between 1460 and 1470 and restored in the second half of the 20th century. It is registered in the list of UNESCO world cultural heritage since the 7th July, 2008 ... Read more

Municipality: Hervartov
District: Bardejov
Region: Region Presov (Prešovský Region)
Tourist location: Šariš

> Top to the list

Hronsek - Wooden Articular Church in Hronsek



Wooden articular Church is in a village Hronsek in the District of Banská Bystrica, Banská Bystrica Region. Church is 8m high and has a shape of the cross with arms 23 and 18m long. As there are many unusual motives from Scandinavian architecture, it is assumed that craftsmen from Norway and/or Sweden articipated on the construction site ... Read more

Municipality: Hronsek
District: Banská Bystrica
Region: Region Banska Bystrica (Banskobystrický Region)
Tourist location: Pohronie - Dolné Pohronie / Tekov

> Top to the list

Hronsek - wooden Baroque bell-house



In 2008 was the  wooden Baroque bell-house together with Hronsek church enrolled to the World Cultural Heritage List of UNESCO ... Read more

Municipality: Hronsek
District: Banská Bystrica
Region: Region Banska Bystrica (Banskobystrický Region)
Tourist location: Pohronie - Dolné Pohronie / Tekov

> Top to the list

Tvrdošín - Roman Catholic Gothic church of All Saints



 It is the oldest preserved building monument of the town Tvrdošín. It was built in the second half of the 15th century and modified in a Renaissance style in the 17th century. Baroque main altar depicting All Saints is from the end of the 17th century. Worth of notice are also ceiling paintings depicting the starry heaven, as well as many religious artefacts from the 17th century... Read more

Mesto: Tvrdošín
District: Tvrdošín
Region: Region Žilina (Žilinský Region)
Tourist location: Orava

Kežmarok - wooden articular church in Kežmarok



Built in 1717, church in Kežmarok with one of the most fascinating interiors with exceptional wall paintings as well as wood carvings is considered to be the most beautiful of the last 5 remaining articular churches in Slovakia ... Read more

Mesto: Kežmarok
District: Kežmarok
Region: Region Presov (Prešovský Region)
Tourist location: Spiš

> Top to the list

Ladomirová - Church of Archangel Michael in Ladomirová



Church of Archangel Michael is located in the village Ladomirová in district Svidník in the Prešov region (Prešovský kraj). There are wall paintings (fresco paintings) inside and icons created in accordance with Byzantine and Old-Russian style ... Read more

Municipality: Ladomirová
District: Svidník
Region: Region Presov (Prešovský Region)
Tourist location: Horný Zemplín

> Top to the list

Leštiny -  wooden evangelical articular church in Leštiny



Church is to these day preserved intact and in an authentic natural environment. Width its monument value it is one of the rarest wooden sacral objects in the whole territory of Slovakia. Interior dates back to the 17th and 18th century nad it is whole beautifully painted. Main altar is from the 18th century ... Read more

Municipality: Leštiny
District: Dolný Kubín
Region: Region Žilina (Žilinský Region)
Tourist location: Orava

> Top to the list

Ruská Bystrá - Church of the relics of St. Nicholas



Church of St. Nicholas in Ruská Bystrá built at the beginning of the 18th century has just 2 towers and the shape of its almost perfect geometric roof resembles traditional houses of peasants. Interior with religious artefacts dates back to the 18th century as well ... Read more

Municipality: Ruská Bystrá
District: Sobrance
Region: Region Košice (Košický kraj)
Tourist location: Zemplín - Horný Zemplín

> Top to the list

Related articles:
UNESCO Natural Heritage in Slovakia