View
on page | Page 1 from 1
City / Municipality: Banská Štiavnica, District: Banská Štiavnica
Region: Region Banska Bystrica (Banskobystrický kraj)
Tourist location: Hont
Mountains: Štiavnica Mountains (Štiavnické vrchy)
Štiavnica’s Calvary is one of the most beautiful baroque Calvaries in Europe. It is located on Scharfenberg (Sharp mount) hill, thus being visible from all sides and providing a complete view of Štiavnica’s caldera (a large crater which came about by collapsing of the walls of a volacnic crater). The Calvary is remarkable due to its number of stations and the story it tells. After the renovation, it became one of the most frequently visited sites in the region.The person to initiate its construction was pater František Perger (1700 – 1771) from the local Jesuit community. He built it by ...

City / Municipality: Kežmarok, District: Kežmarok
Region: Region Prešov (Prešovský kraj)
Tourist location: Spiš
The first reports of the existence of Kežmarok town schools are from years 1383-1392. There is the assumption that the first type of this school -  parish - there was already a century earlier. Evangelical lyceum is historic Late Baroque building. It was built in the years 1774-1776, today's form acquired after the finishing of the first floor in 1820, and then second floor in the year 1865. It is national cultural monument from 4th december 1981. There is one of the largest school historic library in Central ...

City / Municipality: Banská Štiavnica, District: Banská Štiavnica
Region: Region Banska Bystrica (Banskobystrický kraj)
Tourist location: Hont
Mountains: Štiavnica Mountains (Štiavnické vrchy)
Square shaped in the beginning of 16th century, and forms the core of the city. A significant role in its formation played the building of the Town Hall and the Church of St Catherine. Houses on the sides of the square are  epideictic burgher's palaces, which belonged to rich burghers and mining entrepreneurs. The dominant of the square is plague column width Sculpture of the Holy Trinity. It was built as a gratitude of town for the retreat of plague epidemic in the years 1710 - 1711. The original simple plague column was later rebuilt (in years 1759 - 1764) according to the design of ...

City / Municipality: Kežmarok, District: Kežmarok
Region: Region Prešov (Prešovský kraj)
Tourist location: Spiš
The first town hall was on one of the oldest Kežmarok streets – Old Market. After inbreak of Hussites in 1433 the city partly burned down and its centre was moved to another location, where the new square was built up. In the middle of new square Juraj from city Spišska Sobota raised new town hall. After the great fire the City Hall was rebuilt into a Renaissance style by master Kuntz (in years 1541 – 1555). In 1779 the Town Hall burned down again and was rebuilt into the Classicist style. Today's appearance is from year 1922 after the last great fire, when the second floor was ...

City / Municipality: Očkov, District: Nové Mesto nad Váhom
Region: Region Trenčín (Trenčiansky kraj)
Očkov mound (Očkovská mohyla) is a unique monument of international significance. It is the place where meets the history of different periods: Paleolithic - the older Stone Age (2.6 million. - 8000 years BC) The Ockov Mound is proof of the presence of people from the oldest periods of human society - the Paleolithic, as evidenced by the finds of stone tools in the vicinity of the mound. Mound with the chieftain of Velatická Culture from the Bronze Agee (1250-1000 BC) In the mound was buried probably in the 12th century chieftain of Velatická Culture (Velatická kultúra). The people ...

City / Municipality: Pezinok, District: Pezinok
Region: Region Bratislava (Bratislavský kraj)
Tourist location: Bratislava and surroundings (Bratislava a okolie)
Mountains: Little Carpathians (Malé Karpaty)
From 1997, the Collection of Naïve Art is permanently exhibited in the Gallery of Naïve Art in Schaubmar’s Mill in Pezinok, which is one of the technological and cultural monuments. Originally it used to be one of the largest watermills in Europe build during Baroque period. The Gallery, which belongs under the Slovak National Gallery, is the first and only of its kind in Slovakia. Besides the permanent exhibition of naïve art, the gallery regularly prepares monographic and thematic exhibitions, which deal with the broader conceptual and artistic background of the coexistence of ...

City / Municipality: Čachtice, District: Nové Mesto nad Váhom
Region: Region Trenčín (Trenčiansky kraj)
Tourist location: Považie - Middle Váh region (Stredné Považie)
Mountains: Little Carpathians (Malé Karpaty)
Mysterious  underground of Čachtice spreads  as the spider´s net under all village of Čachtice. From the original wine cellars inhabitants of Čachtice built  an extensive system of corridors with several floors for protection before Turkish attacks. Several weeks after a lost battle of the Hungarian king with the Turks at Mohács (29. 8. 1526) where also our king Luis II Jagelonsky died, Turkish armies started to plunder today´s Slovakia too. Čachtice inhabitants  did not have  another possibility to hide before Turkish ...

View
on page | Page 1 from 1